Antrim Hockey Club News story

Match Reports 16/11/19

16 Nov 2019


Antrim had near neighbours Parkview as the visitors to the Paddy Marks Arena on Saturday for their next league match. As expected Antrim dominated the match and it started with a second minute penalty corner awarded when Jason Roe was deliberately obstructed at the edge of the circle. The Parkview goalkeeper blocked the shot and the ball hit an Antrim forward’s foot but the free hit out was intercepted by Dean Wilson who dribbled it back into the circle and skilfully scooped it over the advancing goalkeeper to give Antrim the 1-0 lead. It was all Antrim and they won a series of penalty corners from which the Parkview goalkeeper William Proctor made save after save. Then in the 8th minute he couldn’t stop another Wilson pile driver crashing against the backboards for the 2-0 lead. Parkview’s rather robust tackling was being quite harshly punished by the umpire and Antrim was repeatedly awarded corner after corner. But again their goalkeeper was making save after save to keep his team in the game. In a rare breakout Parkview won their first penalty corner in the 23rd minute but the shot was blocked by goalkeeper Andy Heatley and was quickly cleared upfield to Roe who beat several defenders to lay the ball off to allow Johnny McMeekin to crash it into the net for Antrim’s third goal. With no real threat coming from the Parkview forwards several of the Antrim defenders were able to join in the attack and in the 30th minute Sammy Clyde broke forward and connect with a perfect pass from Roe to slam an unstoppable shot into the backboards for goal number four. Three minutes into the second half a sweet move from Roe through Clyde to Ryan McCrea saw the ball played across the Parkview goalmouth where Steve Gammon reacted first to skilfully deflect it past the onrushing goalkeeper for goal number five. Straight from the hit off Parkview lost possession and the ball and it was quickly moved forward for Wilson to play it across the top of the circle where the unmarked Clyde fired it into the net for the sixth goal. The pressure was relentless with Antrim completely dominating the play and in the 40th minute their playmaker Jason Roe combined with centre back Alan Mullan to pass the ball into the circle for Wilson to slide it under the advancing goalkeeper for his hat trick and goal number seven. From another harsh penalty corner award in the 48th minute Wilson flicked the ball high into the net for the eighth goal. To demoralise the Parkview team even further, two of their players were injured and had to be substituted. At the start of the fourth quarter Parkview won their second penalty corner but the rebounding ball off goalkeeper Heatley hit a foot and the chance was lost. The ball was quickly played forward by Nial Black to Jack Kirkpatrick and on to Roe who worked it down the left wing where his cross into the goalmouth was forced into the net by Curtis Murray for the ninth goal in the 55th minute. Goal number ten came a few minutes later when a McMeekin pass was turned in by Wilson quickly followed in the next attack when McMeekin forced the ball over the line at the left hand post for the 11-0 lead. In the 67th minute in another attack into the Parkview goalmouth McMeekin scored his hat trick when he scrambled the ball over the line and despite Parkview protests the goal stood. Then just before the end McMeekin scored goal number thirteen when he swept a pass from Murray high into the net to finish off this very one sided victory. This week the team travel to Ardmore to play Armagh in their next league match.

Antrim Squad – A Heatley, A Mullan, N Black, J McMeekin, S Clyde, J Roe, D Wilson, J Kirkpatrick, R McCrea, S Gammon, C Murray, R Watt and M Patterson.




Antrim Thirds entertained Instonians Fourths at the Paddy Marks Arena on Saturday in a league match. An Antrim attack in the fourth minute saw Josh Irwin sweep a pass from Mark Kingston just wide. There was little between the teams in the first quarter the only thing of note was a nice through Stu Kernaghan pass which was just inches ahead of the onrushing Lyle Kane in the 12th minute. The second quarter was just three minutes old when Instonians had the ball in the net but the umpire had blown a split second before to give them a penalty corner. But justice was done when the shot deflected off goalkeeper Ben Kennedy’s pads into the net for the opening goal. In the 20th minute Kingston broke into the circle but his strong shot was well saved by the Instonians keeper and the ball cleared away. Antrim were guilty of holding on to the ball far too long and were caught in possession time after time. Full backs Paul Whiteside and Stuart Campbell were defending well and midfielders Stu Kernaghan, Nathan Murdock and Tommy Monahan were battling hard to get the ball through to their forwards. Then in the 30th minute Lyle Kane could only edge wide a pass from Kingston as it flew across the circle from the left. Then from a 32nd minute Instonians attack down the right wing the ball played goalwards and going wide deflected off a defender stick across the goalmouth where a surprised forward managed to prod it over the line to give his team the 2-0 lead. The third quarter was fast end to end play with both team missing chances when well placed. A 40th minute Steve Gammon pile driver was well saved by the Instonians goalkeeper. Five minutes later a Whiteside pass into the circle was missed by the unmarked O’Neill and the chance was lost. A pass from Monahan found Kingston but his fierce shot was blocked by the goalkeeper. The ball was moved to the right where Gammon fired it back across the goalmouth for Kane to belt into the net to get his team back in the game in the 65th minute. Antrim threw everyone forward to press the Instonians defence. A Gammon pass found Stu Kernaghan at the top of the circle but his snap shot was just wide of the post. Another Kingston shot hit the post but the rebounding ball just eluded the onrushing Kane. A 68th minute penalty corner shot from Murdock was well saved by the Instonians goalkeeper and the ball scrambled away. Instonians won a penalty corner in the last minute but although the ball was cleared upfield the Instonians defence held on until the final whistle to clinch this 2-1 victory. Team thanks go to Andy Gleghorne and the Instonians umpire for their fair and expert handling of this game. This week the Thirds travel to Donegal to play Raphoe Thirds in their next league game. The Seconds had no game on Saturday but this week they travel to Hillsborough to play Lisnagarvey Fifths in their next league match.

Thirds Squad :- B Kennedy, P Whiteside, S. Campbell, J Kernaghan, T Monahan, S Kernaghan, M Kingston, N Murdock, J Irwin, L Kane, M Patterson, S Gammon, C O’Neill and K Wilson.